• Get your boiler serviced regularly by a qualified RGI Gas Installer. A Boiler service costs around €60.
• If you regularly use an open fire or log-burning stove, get the chimney swept every year. €60 well spent for peace of mind.
• Make sure your gutters and downpipes are clear, as this can lead to rotten fascia’s and soffits. An average
3 Bedroom semi detached house will cost about €100 for Gutters and Downpipes to be cleaned.
• A well-insulated hot water cylinder can save you money and keep your water, hotter for longer. A Lagging Jacket can be supplied add fitted for about €45.
• If you know how to, bleed your radiators, as air pockets reduce their efficiency
• Familiarise yourself with the location of your mains water stop valve. This is usually found under the stairs or under the kitchen sink. If there is a burst pipe, you can shut off the water quickly.
• Make sure your water pipes are properly insulated to avoid them freezing. Inside and out. Mains water can also be easily turned off at your new Water Meter. There is a key for this purpose supplied inside the Meter Housing
Check the attic has adequate ventilation and is properly insulated. Approx. 25% of the heat you produce goes directly out through your roof, on average 3 bed semi-detached house will loose about €400 a year this way.
• Check windows and doors for draughts – fit draught excluders or repair seals as necessary
• When required, wipe condensation off windows to help prevent build-up of mould and damp. Blue / Black Mould can be harmful to Asthmatics, it can be remided by instaling permanant ventilation, – consider buying a de-humidifier if the problem is persistent, say, in a damp environment.